At the NCCA
The project is to discern the feasibility of having an ecumenical network that would enable the Australian Churches to work together on ecological concerns in the Australian context.
The Eco-Mission project will specifically explore and discern the feasibility of establishing a network within the churches in Australia.
Given the current ecological crisis (biodiversity loss, unsustainable consumption of resources, climate change etc.), there is an urgent need for the churches to address publicly the ethical, social and spiritual questions posed by this crisis. There is also a growing awareness that the church has a genuine mission to love and care for God’s creation as a vital expression of its faith (this is our definition of Eco Mission). In this context, it is time to establish a project or a network that will enable a plan of action to facilitate this mission.
This project or network will enable the Churches together to make their unique voice and position heard on ecological matters.
Terms of Reference:
The NCCA Eco-Mission Project Team will:
1. Network with the relevant church bodies to enable the resources relating to care of creation to be shared.
2. Raise ecological consciousness and clarify the importance of facing the current environmental crisis as vital to the role of the church in society.
3. Foster an education in eco-mission that is grounded in our common biblical, theological, ecological and ethical traditions and animates participating churches to pursue their eco-mission.
4. Promote eco-mission as an integral part of the mission of the church and work towards an ecumenical consensus around this area of the church’s mission.
5. Encourage church bodies and congregations to become public advocates against practices that pollute, degrade or destroy domains of God’s creation.
6. Explore best practice models for the sustainability of God’s creation that would be appropriate for local churches to adopt.
7. Contribute to national events and create resources that will publicise, promote and help facilitate a program of ecological mission among the church bodies of Australia.
8. Explore a statement supported by the churches on care for God’s Creation and related ecological topics.