The Network is to discern the feasibility of having an ecumenical network that would enable the Australian Churches to work together on ecological concerns in the Australian context.
The Eco-Mission Network will specifically explore and discern the feasibility of establishing a network within the churches in Australia.
Given the current ecological crisis (biodiversity loss, unsustainable consumption of resources, climate change etc.), there is an urgent need for the churches to address publicly the ethical, social and spiritual questions posed by this crisis. There is also a growing awareness that the church has a genuine mission to love and care for God’s creation as a vital expression of its faith (this is our definition of Eco Mission). In this context, it is time to establish a network that will enable a plan of action to facilitate this mission.
This network will enable the Churches together to make their unique voice and position heard on ecological matters.
Mandate of Eco Mission Network
The Eco Mission Network exists to assist the National Council of Churches in Australia in its commitment to encourage and enable the member churches, in the light of the gospel, to give prophetic leadership to each other and to the community in caring for God’s creation.
The Eco Mission Network assists the member churches to uphold the dignity of all people and the flourishing of all creation.
The Eco Mission Network is mandated to:
- provide a means of communication between member churches on issues of ecological importance;
- share resources that will assist our member churches to deepen understanding of the ecological implications of our Sacred Scripture;
- facilitate cooperation and joint action between churches to care for our common home.
- advise the National Council of Churches in Australia on resources and actions which might appropriately be taken by the Council and/or severally by member churches.
- propose issues and occasions when either the NCCA or its members might advocate on behalf of God’s Creation.
The members of the Eco Mission Network are appointed by their church and confirmed by the NCCA Forum the Triennial meeting of the churches.
The Membership for for 2016-2019
|Ms Jacqui Remond (Convener)||Roman Catholic Church|
|Father Joseph Ghattas||Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Mr Bobby Philips||Indian Orthodox Church|
|The Reverend Dr Andrew Ruddell||Lutheran Church in Australia|
|The Reverend Dr Clive Ayres||Uniting Church in Australia|
|Sr Elizabeth Delaney SGS||National Council of Churches in Australia|
- NCCA - Eco Mission Network Resources
- Organisations and Church Bodies
- Programs and Initiatives
- Worship and Prayer Events
- Ecological Theologies, Documents and Educational Resources